Whether your Girl Scout is selling online or in person, make sure she always follows the safety rules on this page. You may want to print these rules and keep them on hand during Girl Scout Cookie Season. Adults will find complete safety guidelines available at girlscoutcookies.org/troopleaders.
- Show you’re a Girl Scout – Wear a Girl Scout membership pin, uniform, or Girl Scout clothing (e.g., a Girl Scout T-Shirt) to clearly identify yourself as a Girl Scout.
- Use the Buddy System – Always use the buddy system. It’s not just safe, it’s fun.
- Be streetwise – Become familiar with the areas and neighborhoods where you will be selling Girl Scout products. Contact your local police department if you’re unsure about an area or neighborhood.
- Partner with adults – If you are a Girl Scout Daisy, Brownie or Junior, you must be accompanied by an adult when taking orders or selling/delivering product. If you are a Girl Scout Cadette, Senior or Ambassador, you must “buddy up” when selling door to door. Adults must be present at all time during cookie booth sales.
- Plan ahead – Be prepared for emergencies, and always have a plan for safeguarding money.
- Do not enter – Never enter the home or vehicle of a person when you are selling or making deliveries. Avoid selling to people in vehicles (except at designated drive-thru cookie booths) or going into alleys.
- Sell in the daytime – Sell only during daylight hours, unless accompanied by an adult.
- Protect privacy – Never give your name, home address or email address to customers. Protect customer privacy by not sharing their information, except as necessary for the product sale.
- Be safe on the road – Always follow safe pedestrian practices, especially when crossing at intersections or walking along roadways. Be aware of traffic when unloading product and passengers from vehicles.
- Be web wise – In order to participate in any online activities, you must have your parent’s/guardian’s permission, and you must read and agree to the GSUSA Internet Safety Pledge before conducting any online activities. Additionally, in order to participate in Digital Cookie™, you must read and abide by the Girl Scout Digital Cookie Pledge, and parents/guardians must read and abide by the Digital Cookie Terms and Conditions for Parents/Guardians.