‘Pitching’ sales for fun and success
Girl Scout Brownies have a “ball” as they practice their sales pitches and other selling tips.
- Beach ball
- Permanent marker
Use the permanent marker to write the following phrases randomly on the ball (or on masking tape affixed to the ball):
- Greet your customer.
- Share your goals.
- Ask customer if she would like to buy cookies.
- Recommend your favorite cookie.
- Suggest cookies as gifts.
- Say goodbye to your customer.
- Invite girls to stand in a circle.
- Explain that this game gives them a chance to practice some of the things they will say to their customers. Read the phrases written on the ball out loud.
- Instruct the girls that when they catch the ball, they must “freeze” their hands on the ball in exactly that spot.
- “Pitch” the ball to a girl. Then, name a hand and finger (for example, left hand, pointer finger). The girl locates the phrase closest to that finger and demonstrates that part of her sales “pitch.”
- She then throws the ball to another girl and names a hand and finger.
- Continue until all the girls have had at least one chance to practice and all the topics have been covered.
Practice your pitch!
- Invite the girls to pair up and practice their entire sales pitch with each other, with one girl role-playing the customer.
- You may suggest girls follow the scripts on their order cards.
- As they perfect their sales pitches, encourage volunteers to perform their sales skits for the whole group.