Garden of goals
Girl Scout Daisies learn the importance of responsibility with this fun door hanger craft that helps girls set, remember and track their personal goals for Cookie Season.
- CD jewel case (one per girl)
- Goal tracker template
- Garden of goals template (optional)
- Crayons, colored pencils or markers
- Ribbon (15 inches per girl)
- School glue
- Glue or tape
- Colorful construction paper or cardstock
- Print one garden of goals template for each girl (choose either option one or option two) and trim around the edges
- Print one or two goal tracker templates for each girl, and trim around edges
- Cut ribbon in 15-inch lengths (one piece per girl). You may wish to pre-attach a ribbon to the back of each CD case.
- For option one, trim the construction paper or card stock to fit into the CD case cover.
- The team will want to decide their Cookie Season goals either before or during this activity.
- Give each girl a copy of the garden of goals template and some writing and coloring supplies.
- Guide girls in deciding their Cookie Season goals. Suggest that Girl Scout Daisies can set three cookie goals. (The “idea hunt” activity is a fun way to do this.)
A “fun and learning” goal
A “helping others” service goal
A personal cookie package goal (the number of cookie packages a girl plans to sell to help her team reach the “fun and learning” goal and the “helping others” goal.
- Invite girls to write their “helping others” goal inside the helping hands flower. In the smiley face flower, girls write their “fun and Learning” goal. Inside the cookie flower, girls can record how many cookie packages they plan to sell to reach these goals.
- Invite the girls to color and decorate their flower garden.
- If using template option one, allow girls to select a colorful piece of construction paper and then glue their flower garden to the colored paper.
- If using template option two, guide girls as they cut apart their flowers, using the dotted line as a guide and then glue their flowers onto their garden.
- Give each girl a CD case and a ribbon. If the ribbon is not already attached to the CD case, assist girls in attaching the ribbon to the back of the case with tape.
- Show girls how to slide their finished flower garden into the cover of the CD case.
- Allow girls to place one tracker in the CD holder on the right of the open case, and place the other on the back of the flower garden cover.
- Use scotch tape or school glue to hold them into place if desired.
Garden of goals at home
- At home, the garden of goals door hanger becomes a great goal reminder and tracker that also involves families.
- Girls will want to share their goals with their family and talk about plans that will help them to reach those goals.
- Suggest girls hang their craft on their bedroom door handle.
- Show girls how to use the trackers inside the CD to help them track and achieve their goals. Invite them to color in one section for each box of cookies that they sell. Once a row of five is filled in, they can go to the next row. Older Girl Scout Daisies may enjoy practicing to count by fives to total up the rows that they have colored in!